- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onions and garlic, frying until softened. Increase the heat and add the minced beef.
- Fry it until it has browned, breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the oxo cubes over the mince and stir so the colour and flavour spreads throughout the mince. Reduce the temperature and stir in the fresh vine tomatoes (leave these whole and squish when soft).
- Add the glass of red wine and season well with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer the Bolognese sauce over a gentle heat for 1-1½ hours until it's rich and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- At the end of the cooking time, add any extra seasoning if necessary. After tasting your sauce you may wish to add the sugar to reduce any acidity from the tomatoes.
- Remove from the heat to 'settle' while you cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water (for the time stated on the packet).
- Drain and divide between warmed plates. Season with parmesan cheese if you wish and then enjoy...